Texas Horse Enthusiasts

Horse Related Forums
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:40 pm 01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to host a picture here~
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:19 pm 01 
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

If you have pictures on your computer then you will need to host them on the WWW. There are several free places.
1. www.photobucket.com my personal favorite

2. http://villagephotos.com/

3. http://tinypic.com/ this one is quick but you cant save your pics to an album.

4. Resizing pictures is important and a quick tool that I have found useful is http://irfanview.com/ you can download it quickly and its easy to use.

Once you have an account then load up your pictures that you want to share.

Each site has a place under or next to your picture that has these

URL Link
HTML Tag
IMG Code

To post a picture here on the forum simply copy the IMG Code and paste it here. SOME will require you to hit the img key which is above here, where you are typing. It looks like this [/img] after you click on it paste the IMG Code and THEN you have to close it by clicking on the [img] button above. Please do not post pics that are larger than 640 X 480.

Photobucket is the easiest because you don't have to [/img]thencloseit[img]

Avatars are another thing. To have an avatar you have to copy the URL Link and put it in your profile. This should not be bigger than 6K or 100 wide X 200 tall. That's in pixels.

If you accidently post a picture or an avatar which is to large don't worry, someone will politely let you know.

Good luck and for goodness sake ask if you have a ?????

Last edited by Hipy on Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:34 pm 01, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:37 pm 01 
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

BUMP, can someone proofread and correct this?

Post subject: Re: How to host a picture here~
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:55 pm 01 
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Hipy wrote:
If you have pictures on your computer then you will need to host them on the WWW. There are several free places.
1. www.photobucket.com my personal favorite

2. http://villagephotos.com/

3. http://tinypic.com/ this one is quick but you cant save your pics to an album.

4. Resizing pictures is important and a quick tool that I have found useful is http://irfanview.com/ you can download it quickly and its easy to use.

Once you have an account then load up your pictures that you want to share.

Each site has a place under or next to your picture that has these

URL Link
HTML Tag
IMG Code

To post a picture here on the forum simply copy the IMG Code and paste it here. SOME will require you to hit the img key which is above here, where you are typing. It looks like this [/img] after you click on it paste the IMG Code and THEN you have to close it by clicking on the [img] button above. Please do not post pics that are larger than 640 X 480.

Photobucket is the easiest because you don't have to [/img]thencloseit[img]
Avatars are another thing. To have an avatar you have to copy the URL Link and put it in your profile. This cannot be bigger than 6K or 200 X 200.

If you accidently post a picture or an avatar don't worry, someone will politely let you know.

Good luck and for goodness sake ask if you have a ?????

[img]%20goes%20before%20the%20code%20and%20[/img] is the code at the end

Post subject: Thanks for the info...
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:39 am 01 

:D This is definantly a big help. I need to try it. Thanks
Dynette

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:09 pm 01 

You can also just highlight the text (ie: webaddress) and then click on whichever box is appropriate [Img], [URL], [Quote], etc.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:29 am 01 

If you take a picture of a website like facebook you can
A. Right click the image
B. Go to properties
C.Highlight the code next to Address(URL):
D. Copy & Paste then add your . Make sure what you capy is in bewtween [img]right%20here[/img]

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:44 pm 01 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Angel that will only work if Slim has increased the allowed pixels. Originally it was set to 500 pixels wide. FB photos are 720 pixels wide. He might have changed it . . . don't know.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:41 am 01 
Original Founding & Sustaining Member
Original Founding & Sustaining Member

Another place to host your pics is http://www.care2.com

It's a free service and you can set up multiple "albums" (I do mine by subject matter) and you have unlimited picture uploads. You may have to edit the photo size to post elsewhere, but it doesn't have limits on size or number of pics.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:02 pm 01 
Admin

Regarding the picture size allowed on this forum.
I have it set at the maximum picture size allowed in pixels set at 500 wide by 600 high.
we have a dilemma. If I increase the picture size it affects 2 things: storage (which may be more or less disregarded) and bandwidth (which may not be disregarded)
Bandwidth is where our expenses are.

I didn't have the download attachments feature on the old board so everyone was forced to use photobucket or some such to host the pictures and then you could include the url of the picture in your posts. By using that method it doesn't cost us anything in bandwidth or storage.
when I enabled download attachments feature I didn't realize the pictures would be stored on our server. This feature allows you to download pictures directly from your computer to this site and your picture is stored on our host server. This affects bandwidth when you originally download the picture to THE and again every time someone reads the thread the picture is posted in. The bigger the picture the more bandwidth we use and the more it is viewed the more bandwidth we use. Since many of us don't know how to optimize the picture size for the web, many post huge pictures which cost us lots of bandwidth and annoys other members as the page layout become even more difficult to read and increases the time for the thread to load.
Another consideration is our lurker friends. More pictures attracts more lurkers and more frequent visits by them. Every time a lurker visits more pages are served by our host and that also increases the bandwidth we use and ultimately our costs.

I am wrestling with the following:
Should we disable this feature or should we keep it as it is popular?
If We keep it we will burn through this years hosting fee money pretty quickly and then I will have to have another fund raiser and fund raising will occur more often.
Without that feature there won't be another fund raiser for a year.

Right now I plan on doing nothing for a month to see what the total impact this feature has on our bandwidth. As of last night we have used 12 percent of our bandwidth just since we moved to this new board which was about 3 days ago. We are all here now but some infrequent posters haven't logged in yet.

In a month I will have a better idea of the total impact of this feature and can offer you some realistic choices of how to proceed.