Texas Horse Enthusiasts

Horse Related Forums
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:34 pm 01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cheap cellular
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:04 am 01 
Founding & Sustaining Member

I'm thinking about switching from AT&T to Consumer Cellular. I rarely text, rarely call, and rarely go on the Web with my phone. Has anyone had any experience with Consumer Cellular?

Post subject: Re: Cheap cellular
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:34 am 01 
Original Founding & Sustaining Member

No experience with Consumer Cellular, but we have an inexpensive plan on a competitor.

We've been on Boost for several years, which uses the Sprint network. Previously, we were on Sprint. Currently unlimited everything 4LTE for $75 for two lines; our old Boost plan was $40/line and there are various plans available. Saves a whole lot of money compared to the major carriers, and the service is acceptable.

One buys one's own phone from the available selection, with prices ranging from cheap to moderately expensive; they don't offer the absolute latest/greatest $$$$ phones at the time of release. To give an example, our current phones were under $90, with large screens and good cameras and there were both less and more expensive ones -- I don't care if I'm buying a phone model that's already been marketed for a bit, as we keep our phones for years.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:49 pm 01 

I have my own phone that I bought 4 years ago when I signed up with AT&T. I suspect Consumer Cellular uses AT&T's network, which is fine with me. IMO AT&T has the best network. (OK, I worked for them so I'm biased. :D ) It looks like I can get what services I need for around $15.00 per month. I just have to make sure I'm not still on a contract with AT&T.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:35 am 01 

We are with Verizon and as soon as our contract is up in Jan., I'll be looking to change carriers. Thanks for the info on Boost- I'll certainly look into it. :D

"I want my spirituality to rid me of hate. Not give me reason for it" - Donald Miller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:44 am 01 

Part of the problem with changing carriers is you never know if you are moving from good service to bad or vice versa. Most of the cell towers are not marked as to whose they are, so you don't know which carriers might be close to you. I know where all the towers are in San Marcos because I worked in all of them. Kathy, you might want to have Helen come over to your house and see what kind of signal she has there before you switch. Of course, if there's no contract, you're not stuck with them if the service doesn't work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:16 pm 01 

Boost is a non-contract carrier. They have a coverage map on their website at boostmobile.

The reason we went with Sprint (Boost uses that network, too) all those years ago is that the reception was better out here in the hill country, in our area. In fact, my friends with AT&T phones have had to borrow mine on occasion (for example, at the HCSNA in Bandera, or even just driving to Seguin).

When we started with Sprint, we were allowed a couple of weeks to return and get out of the contract, which we spent driving around to check on coverage.

There are dead spots -- for instance, get much past Fredericksburg, out away from populated areas, and consistent coverage doesn't come back until Lubbock, except for places such as San Angelo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:43 am 01 

All cellular carriers concentrate their coverage in the cities and along major highways. You get away from those cities and highways and coverage is spotty.